Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Countdown is On!

Dear friends and family,

The countdown is on. I leave for Burundi in 43 days. Our plane tickets are purchased, our immunizations are all done (thankfully I didn’t have to get a whole round of new ones, just a follow-up Hepatitis A&B), and we are starting to talk about packing lists, work projects, gifts for our hosts and hostesses and I’m trying to remember how in the world I was able to stay a vegetarian for all those days on my last trip. :)

But truly, more than all that, there’s lots to think about and prepare in my heart to visit a country that’s experienced such tragedy. Our team watched the movie “War Dance”, which tells the story of a handful of refugee children from the Acholi tribe in Northern Uganda and their experience recovering from the war in their nation (there’s a really positive aspect to their story as well as they go to the big city to compete in a national musical festival…thus the “dance” component of the title). Many of these children lost parents or siblings and have experienced unspeakable, horrific things that most Americas wouldn’t allow their children to watch on TV or in movies. What struck me about the movie was how, when asked, the children were so willing to talk of these horrors and show their emotions…and how unwilling the adults were to talk about what had happened to them. They must be doing what they have to in order to survive. Putting those horrible images and grief away (as much as they can) to function in their daily lives. One of the reasons we are going to Burundi is to remind the people that they have not been forgotten by the world…or by God.

From what I’ve seen, life in Burundi is about a lot of hard work, walking many miles to school (if you get to go to school), walking many miles for clean water, farming, cooking, caring for children. Lots to do every day. It’s simple, but very demanding. I’m not sure how they do all that they do.

Another purpose for our trip is to help build a medical clinic for those living in a province of about 80,000 people. In that area, there is currently one medical clinic. And from the pictures I’ve seen, it has six beds. Six beds for 80,000 people. The beds don’t have mattresses or bedding, so I’ve heard that if you are sick and need to go to the clinic you take your own mattress, strap it on your bike (if you have one) and ride however many miles it is to the clinic. That sounds difficult to do even if you were not sick! We have two women going on our team that have medical training so who knows what they’ll encounter as far as being able to provide treatment for the local people. The rest of us will build the new clinic. Yes, me on a construction project! I can only imagine. We also hope to stir up some spontaneous soccer games with kids in a local field (yes, me playing soccer...oh and did I mention, the women will all be wearing below the knee-length skirts and, at least for the construction part of the day, hiking boots or athletic shoes!! Attractive...so American of me to worry about things like that.) We'll also just spend time getting to know the local people. Their tribal language is Kirundi; those who are educated beyond 5th grade may know some French. For the most part, we’ll use translators to communicate. But despite the language barrier, I hope that our time and with them will communicate Christ’s love for them.

So much is unknown…and we will likely experience much that is unexpected…but I’m excited for the adventure that lies ahead. I covet your prayers for my preparations…mostly for my heart to be willing and open to whatever we face, but also for our travel, health, rest and ability to encourage a people who so greatly need it. I’m accustomed to understanding how, even in a small way, to comfort someone who is visibly grieving. What I struggle with is knowing how to comfort someone who has experienced such tragedy that they are unable to express their emotions. May my heart be sensitive and willing to reach out to anyone, regardless of the mask they might wear.

Thank you to so many of you who have already given to support this trip. The generosity of both friends and family has been overwhelming. I am truly grateful.

If you were planning to give, I realize I haven’t done a very good job of communicating my deadlines. If you already gave, your support helped cover my travel expenses to and from Burundi. 24 hours of flying (and layovers) is a serious deal! I’m grateful that was covered by the first deadline in May. I still need to raise about $500 to cover the rest of the expenses for the trip. Our final deadline for all contributions is June 13th…so there’s still time if you wish to give. Read on for more information about where to send the check.

I do plan to update this blog weekly until I leave. I promise to get some photos from the September trip up here soon! While we’re gone, I won’t likely have access (or time) to get online so you won’t hear from me between July 18-28th, but once I’m back in the country with a little bit of rest, you’ll certainly see my photos and reflections from the trip.

Thank you again so much for your support – both prayers and financially. Or, as they say in Burundi, Murakoze cyane!

Love,
Merritt

P.S. Checks can be made out to Watermark Community Church. Please mail to me (to arrive by June 13th) to:

Merritt Olsen
9622 Lanward Drive
Dallas, TX 75238

Many thanks!

No comments: