Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Prayer Request

modified from a prayer request sent by e-mail this morning...

Please join in prayer for the 29 single adults from Watermark going to Makamba, Burundi to build a hospital facility at a medical clinic that an earlier team visited in Spring 2008, while teaching in Burundi. Our first team will be traveling July 11-21 with the second team traveling July 18-28.

Makamba is in far southern Burundi near the Tanzania border. The teams will be working alongside local laborers to build a facility to care for the local town population of about 80,000 people. This population was about 20,000 a couple years ago, but has ballooned as refugees move back from Tanzania where they lived during the civil war and genocide. The medical clinic will be a 16-room facility measuring 4,500 square feet. Our teams will also put on a sports camp at the fields immediately bordering the clinic.


Please pray for the safety, unity and health of the team members, that Christ would be exalted through our efforts, that we would draw closer to Him and that the following would be spoken of our efforts in His name:

Matthew 25:34-40
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


It is amazing to me what Watermark is undertaking to support ALARM in Africa. We have another team of 20 returning to Burundi & Uganda to teach in September and two more trips planned for October and January. It's not about Watermark, though. These are just people who have a heart for God and God's people and want to see recovery, reconciliation and peace among them. I heard recently about one of the leaders of ALARM who was in Darfur when war broke out just a few days ago. He's no stranger to war or violence, but to hear, even minimally, of what he risks every day to fight for reconciliation among the African people and the spread of God's truth is remarkable.

We leave three weeks from Friday. Wow! Grateful for your prayers.

No comments: